Monday, April 20, 2009

Lazy Sunday~

This weekend I realized I hadn't cooked in a while, the house remodel is to blame, so I ended up making a fairly easy Sunday lunch, this made dh very happy :)

On the menu- Cuban style Gallo Pinto
fried plantains and grilled steak

I started by caramelizing two onions in some cooking oil
you will need two cans of red kidney beans, do not drain, next
rinse five cups of long grain white rice

once the onions are browned take half of them out and reserve for later, leave the oil in the pan

add the rinsed white rice (about five cups) to half the cooked onions



add the two cans of red kidney beans, four and a half cups of water, and a tablespoon of salt
cover and cook on medium low heat for 25 minutes




there you have it, my version of Gallo pinto, Nicaraguan style rice and red beans~

garnish with the reserved caramelized onions

Fried plantains or platanos maduros, so easy to make and yet so good~



just peel a few ripe plantain, slice, fry until golden brown~


t-bone steaks ready for the grill

I usually add a little bit of garlic powder, salt and pepper while they are grilling



well done on the outside, medium well on the inside~

we finished the meal with assorted cheeses and berries and lots of red vino for dh and I~