Monday, April 6, 2009

Flan

phew, who knew photographing food would be so difficult! I couldn't get one decent shot, lol Anyway, here is the final product~ it looks better in person, really... Well my kids thought it was good, except for the ten year old, after he tried it he asked me for something that "actually tastes good", his own words, "an ice cream cone" lol!!!
once inverted onto a serving plate



when it first came out of the oven




One of the simplest recipes which has a ton of variations, I usually put a bit of lemon peel in it but I don't have any on hand. Another favorite addition is cream cheese, but I'm keeping it very basic this time~ enjoy!

Here is what you'll need:

one 12oz. can of evaporated milk
one 14oz. can of condensed milk
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of sugar for the caramel

1. preheat the oven to 325 degrees, have a mold ready for the flan and a bigger pan that you can fit that mold into for the water bath.
2. mix the all the ingredients, except for the cup of sugar, in blender for a few seconds




3.caramelize the sugar in a heavy sauce pan, stir until it begins to dissolve. then stop stirring or it will crystallize..





4.once it turns a dark honey color, remove from heat





5.pour into your waiting mold, I'm using a loaf pan







have a pan filled with water, waiting in the oven










6.pour your flan mixture into the caramelized mold, place in the water bath and bake at 325 degrees for an hour and fifteen minutes~








I will show the end results when it finishes baking, when it's done let it cool down for a couple of hours, I've placed it in the freezer on occasions when I didn't want to wait for the natural cooling process.












After it cools down, run a knife around the sides of your mold and invert on a serving plate, let the caramel run down the sides of it~